Visa fees to Greece

This page contains detailed information on the different types of Greek visas, as well as the basic terms and application fees for each of them. Basically, your choice will depend on whether your purposes for entering the country are short-term, long-term or permanent. But first, you can check this page to see if you need a visa to travel to Greece at all.

Note: visa or not, you will need to register in the country if you stay there for more than 90 days.

Schengen Visa

The Schengen Area, which Greece is part of, covers 22 European and 4 non-European states, and you get one tourist visa that allows you to travel freely in all of them, and to enter and exit the area via any of them too. So, if you plan a short-term (under 90 days) visit to Greece, you will most likely have to apply for a Schengen visa. And if you are a citizen or resident of a Schengen state, you will not need a visa at all.

The application documents include:

  • Your passport,

  • Application letter (stating your purposes for entering the country),

  • Your marriage certificate, if applicable, even you travel alone,

  • Medical insurance of at least €30K,

  • Confirmation that you have at least 50 euros per day, with the minimum of 300 euros for the visit,

  • Proof of sufficient and pre-paid (if applicable) accommodation arrangements for the entire stay,

  • Return or onward tickets out of the Schengen Area,

  • Bank statements for the previous half a year,

  • Two 35X45 photographs (made within six months before application),

  • Application fee of 80 euros.

Note: your passport must be issued at least 90 days before and be valid for at least 90 days after the intended visit.

You can check this page for more thorough information about Schengen visas, as well as to see if you need one. In the rest of this article, we will focus on specifically Greek visas for different purposes. 

Short-Term Visas

A visit is classified as short if it is to last less than 90 days. In the following sections, we will briefly mention the most common types of short-term visas in Greece.

Tourist Visa

This is one of the two most basic types of visitor visas, and you will most likely travel with a Schengen visa in this case as described in the previous section. Accommodation reservation will be required. 

Private Visa

This is the second basic type, and it differs from a tourist visa in that, instead of hotel reservations and letters of itinerary, you will need to submit an invitation letter from a Greek citizen or permanent resident to confirm that he is willing to accommodate you and take care of you in the case of potential trouble. The other application requirements and fees stay the same in this case. 

Digital Nomad Visa

If you can prove that you earn or make money remotely or online outside Greece, and your income is big enough not to look for work while you are in the country, you can get a remote worker visa, and its duration will be negotiable. In other words, it can be a long-term visa too. However, you will have to pay Greek income taxes too in this case.

The application documents include:

  • Identity document,

  • Proof of remote income of at least €3.5K for yourself, €700 for your unemployed marital partner and €525 for each dependant, including underage children,

  • Greek tax number,

  • Local SIM-card,

  • Application fee of 75 euros.

Medical Visa

The name of the visa speaks for itself, and you will need an invitation letter from a doctor or hospital where you intend to undergo diagnostics or medical treatment. In case you plan to do doctor shopping when you come to the country, you will need to apply for a regular visitor visa and state medical tourism as your purpose of visit. The application fee will be the same in any case.

Note: in the case of all short-term visas, you may only stay in Greece and the Schengen Area for 90 out of 180 days. 

Long-Term Visas

This category covers visits between 90 days and one year, and the visas are often called temporary residence permits. The most common reasons to apply for one include employment, family reunification and studies. 

Family Reunion Visa

To get this visa, you will have to submit documents that prove:

  • Your legal family ties,

  • Sufficient funds,

  • Adequate accommodation arrangements,

  • Medical insurance of sufficient coverage for all family members.

The application fee will be 180 euros per applicant. 

Dependant Visa

As a variation on the previous theme, you might apply for a visa in order to accompany the main applicant as a family member. Actually, you will most probably get a visa in such a case automatically anyway. But if you have to apply separately, the documentation package and application fees will be the same as for the family visa. 

Student Visa

If you sign up for a program that exceeds three months, you will have to apply for a study visa, for which you will need:

  • Letters of acceptance and invitation from the educational institution in question,

  • Proof of sufficient accommodation arrangements and funds,

  • Standard medical insurance,

  • Application fee of 90 euros.

Note: you will most likely need an invitation letter from your future landlord as well.

Temporary Employment Visa

In the case of temporary work visas, you will have the options of:

  1. Self-employed residence permit,

  2. Remote worker visa,

  3. Work visa proper.

Technically, the term is reserved for the third case only, which refers to the actual formal employment contract in the country. On top of the standard documentation package, you will need to submit a copy of the contract and, most likely, an invitation letter from your employer.

The application fee will be 75 euros. 

Immigration Visas

Commonly referred to as permanent residence permits, they are to apply for in case you intend to stay in the country longer than one year. This may be the case of extended studies or long-term employment, and the application fee will be 180 euros.

Otherwise, the best option is the so-called golden visa, which is granted upon investment in the real estate sector. In Greece, the minimum amount is €250K, and the visa will be yours in a couple of months. The standard permanent residence permit fee is €500K, and there might be additional 20 euros or so to pay as processing fees. 

Do you want to get a residence permit in Greece for an investment?

Our managers will answer all your questions.


Once you know which visa you need, you can submit your application:

  • Through you legal agent

  • Online via VFS

  • Nearest Greek Consulate

Also, you can check this page to see where to apply in case there is no Greek Consulate in your country.

We are here to help you get residence

    When you submit a request, you agree to our terms and conditions

    Get free advice